Having your ducts cleaned might seem like an unnecessary expense, but it actually offers great benefits at a modest price. Duct cleaning can improve your indoor air quality (IAQ) by reducing the amount of mold, pollen and dander in your home. It can also help increase the efficiency of your HVAC system. Discover the basics of air duct cleaning, when they should be cleaned and the benefits of the process.
The Definition of Air Duct Cleaning
Air duct cleaning refers to the process of cleaning certain components of your HVAC system. A professional cleaner uses chemical compounds and specialized brushes to dislodge dirt and debris and vacuums to suck out and generally clean these components. The components to be cleaned include:
- Supply and return ducts
- Heat exchangers
- Condensate drain pans or drip pans
- Fan housing
- Evaporator coils
- Fan motors
This cleaning effectively decreases the amount of contaminants in your system and in the air, thus improving the IAQ of your home.
Why You Should Have Your Air Ducts Cleaned
Some components of your HVAC system can become contaminated with debris, pollen and particles of dust. Additionally, moisture can cause microbiological growth, such as mold and mildew. Mold spores can be released into the air and cause allergic reactions as well as exacerbate existing respiratory conditions. These are among the most common reasons people choose to have their ducts cleaned, but there are many more reasons that include:
- After fire or flood damage to your HVAC system
- After finding evidence of an animal infestation in your ductwork
- Prior to occupying a new home
- Having pets that frequently shed high volumes of hair, creating lots of dander
Why Duct Cleaning is a Good Investment
More than anything, having your ducts cleaned can give you peace of mind, because you have no idea what could be dwelling in your duct system. A professional inspection is enough to put your mind at ease, but taking the next step and having them cleaned is even better. However, to get the most from your investment, you should have your ducts cleaned by a reputable company like McIvor Power Vac. Here’s why:
- We can increase the efficiency of your air conditioner due to increased air flow
- We can help prevent or eliminate mold growth
- We can help decrease odours caused by dirty components in your HVAC system
- We can improve the IAQ of your home by decreasing contaminants, thus improving the respiratory health of you and your family
Give us a call to schedule your cleaning, now!